Wednesday, September 27, 2006

Why I've Been Laughing Out Loud

Naomi, Alice, and I went to Borders on Sunday afternoon. I never think that I will buy something else while I am in there, but oh well. It was a much anticipated purchase. Meaning that I have been wanting to buy this book for a really long time. I picked up "Knitting Rules" by Stephanie Pearl-McPhee. You can tell that she is a knitter because she has the word pearl in her name. It's spelled different, but still works. ;) As I sat there in the cafe I started giggling out loud very frequently considering that I wasn't reading a joke book. I brought it with my when I went to choir with Emma this week and had to keep from laughing too hard and the "10 reasons to carry a knitting bag" list. I bet you think that it can't be that funny, but to me it REALLY IS THAT FUNNY! I will type up some quotes now, and you can tell me if you she is as funny as I think she is.

"If you find an non-knitter who thinks what you do is clever, beautiful, and artistic: who never asks for knitted stuff but wears it with pride when you give it to him or her; and will help you carry home a whole fleece for a stack of stitch dictionaries without once implying that you might want to get a grip - marry that person."

"The techniques available to you can take a lifetime to learn and the different ways to make these loops with sticks is engaging, clever and not at all monotonous. Non-knitters don't understand that there's always something left to learn, and trying to tell them that there are so many extremely interesting ways to do something with string is folly." HAHAHA

She has a section on rating how addicted you are to knitting and I fall between level three and four. Level three is..."Preoccupied: The knitter may now be spending all of her free time knitting but is still attending to other things, like job and children. The "preoccupied" knitter actively shops for yarn often, discusses yarn often, and occasionally has dreams in which knitting figures prominently. In a bookstore, she now treks only to the knittng book section." Level four is... "Obsessed: The knitter spends all of her free time knitting, and the time she considers "free" is expanding. She is likely now neglecting housework with a vengeance and is dreaming in knitting code. The "obsessed" knitter stalks other people to stare at their sweaters, and would rather sit on a train for nine hours where she can knit comfortably, rather then drive. This knitter has discovered books on tape, buys yarn like it's a job, and dreams of a way to make money from knitting so she wouldn't have to waste good knitting time earning a living. etc"

This is all very hilarious to me.

3 comments:

Alice said...

I witnessed her amusement. She is not kidding.

Anonymous said...

Haha. It was pretty funny, I guess. ;)

Anonymous said...

sounds like a great book - thanks for sharing your amusement with us. :)I wonder what level I am at?